An applicant who meets all academic requirements for admission to North Dakota State University (NDSU), except for the English proficiency level, may be eligible for conditional admission. All documents are reviewed for conditional admission to the undergraduate or graduate program and enrollment in the Intensive English Language Program (IELP), for the student's first term at NDSU. The IELP will help to prepare students for full-time, university level coursework and provides the possiblity for students to enroll in IELP and academic coursework at the same time, depending on their proficiency level.
View Academic Requirements by Country of Education List for official records required > Official academic records must be submitted for all grades received through the semester prior to admission at NDSU
(Example: Fall applicants=grades through December/January, Spring applicants=grades through July/August)
Submit all required application information and documents to the NDSU Graduate School
Wait for confirmation of eligibility from an admission counselor in the Graduate School > Eligibility for conditional admission consideration is determined by specific department on an individual student basis.
• Uploads: 1) Copies of Previous Immigration Documents with NDSU and 2) Copy of TOEFL/IELTS Score Report (if applicable)
• Questionnaires: Background Check, Education History: College/University, Language Proficiency
Your online application status will be changed to Under Review once all items listed have a checkmark or n/a in the Received column.
> IELP admission letter and SEVIS I-20 will be issued upon a) receipt of admission to the Graduate School and b) completion of the Graduate Immigration Checklist.
Conditional Admission Deadlines (for receipt of all requirements for both applications):
If OUTSIDE the U.S.If enrolled at a school INSIDE the U.S.
• Fall (August start) - June 1 • Fall (August start) - July 1
• Spring (January start) - November 1 • Spring (January start) - December 1
• Summer (June start) - April 1 • Summer (June start) - May 1
Upon arrival at NDSU:
Submit any updated TOEFL/IELTS reports to NDSU International Admissions, which were taken after receiving admission to NDSU. We will update your eligibility when applicable.
Take the on-campus placement test during orientation to determine your proficiency level in English listening, speaking, reading, writing and grammar.
The IELP Coordinator will determine your enrollment type for the 1st day of classes:
1) Full-time IELP (5 classes, 20 credit hours), OR
The IELP Coordinator will review your proficiency level to determine if your enrollment type has changed.
1) You will be granted full admission and eligible to enroll in full-time academic classes; OR
2) You will continue studying English for next term, with option of taking 1+ academic classes (additional costs apply) > A conditional admission offer may be deferred until a student's English proficiency level improves to meet North Dakota State University
minimum standards for full admission.
North Dakota State University Phone: +1 (701) 231-8761 - Fax: +1 (701) 231-8556 Campus address: Putnam Hall Physical/delivery address: 1349 12th Avenue NW/Putnam Hall, Fargo, ND 58102 USA Page manager: Office of Global Outreach